Thursday 7 January 2016

RESEARCH: ANALYSING FILM POSTERS

I have researched into different types of short film posters and analysed them by looking at, textual codes, design and layout and visual codes. 


High Maintenance:

The first key feature of their poster is its theme and its main colour being black. I think this is immediately suggesting the genre of the film to the audience

Secondly, the extreme close up picture of a women's face then shows and suggests the type of characters that appear in the film. This image could also result in both men and women. As a young women would attract the male audience and the female audience would be able to relate to the women on the poster. 
The Crush:
I have also been investigating into the short film 'TheCrush'. Straight away the audience are shown that the young boy shown in the picture on the poster is a key character in the film.The photo shows a young boy in an empty classroom, this implies that the boy is in a dreaming world of his own, this is shown by the boys relaxed body language. Furthermore the lighting creates a light, dreaming effect. This poster is useful research for my partner and I as our short film is called 'Dreaming Daisy' and this poster shows features that suggest a dreaming theme. The text that the title is written in is also very important in expressing that the boy is in school as it looks as though it is written in white black board 


However, when reseaching short film posters I realised that many short films due to the low budget do not have film posters. But I wanted to analyse some posters that were more of the genre that I am trying to create ( chick flick/ romance). This resulted in me analysing The Fault In My stars poster and Love Rosie. 


The Fault In My Stars:



Love Rosie:










1 comment:

  1. You have tried to find short film posters as well as mainstream posters to analyse. Only one of them has the traditional billing block which is one of the genre conventions.
    I suggest that you return to your analysis of 'The Crush' and develop it.

    ReplyDelete